I have some very actionable blogging tips for you today.
Blogging is a powerful (aka kick-ass) form of organic, free marketing for your business. Whether you’re looking to grow your website traffic, build loyalty with new or current customers, or become a brand leader in your space, a blog can be the foundation on which your vision is built.
This is why it’s important to make sure your blog posts are well crafted and align with the most current blogging best practices–so you look more credible and trustworthy to your community.
Blogging for Business: 5 Blogging Tips for 2023
If you want to leverage the compound benefits of blogging for business, you’ve come to the right place. Today I’m sharing 5 blogging tips for 2023 that will help you extend your reach and meet your audience in real, meaningful, and measurable ways.
1. Identify the primary blogging goals
If your company has decided to start a blog or perhaps re-start one, the first step is understanding why. This will help give structure to your content, post format and frequency, and measurability.
The simplest way to do this is begin with a list of blogging business goals you hope to accomplish. Ultimately, you want to be clear as to the purpose of your blog, and how you’ll execute it.
A simple formula to get you started on this goes as follows:
We want to X by Y to Z…
X = Blog goal
Y = Methodology
Z = final result
Here is the formula in action using some common examples I hear from blog content clients:
- “We want to connect with our customers through our values and key messaging BY ‘gently selling’ our products or services TO generate more conversions.”
- “We want to create more points of contact BY nurturing trust in their buying journey TO guide people through our customer funnel.”
- “We want to get more traffic to our website BY ranking for high-volume keywords TO increase visibility and brand awareness.”
Now you give it a try! If you’d like feedback or just want to share, feel free to send me a note with your goal. I’d love to see what you come up with.
2. Provide value in your blog posts
Pro-tip: your blog posts aren’t about you.
Meaning, it doesn’t matter what you post on your blog if it isn’t relevant to your target audience. Your blog posts should not only naturally address specific questions or concerns your prospects have (this is the value!), but it should also then propel them to take action.
Avoid hard sales language and keep your persona’s pains, challenges, and goals in mind when brainstorming blog topic ideas and always come back to them–your blog will be much more effective and they’ll be more likely to convert.
3. Optimize your blog posts for SEO and Google search results
Simply put, SEO is how people find your blog posts. They generally type a search term (aka keyword or keyphrase) into Google, and results pop up. To rank in these results above your competition, you have to optimize your posts.
A lot goes into this (like, a lot) but it includes basically three major areas of consideration for every blog post:
- Content. Ensure it’s well written, focused on one specific topic, and provides value to your target audience.
- On-page SEO. At a high level this includes keyword research, title tags, meta descriptions, headers, URL structure, internal and external links, images, alt tags, page speed, user engagement, and schema markup.
- Off-page SEO. Beyond the blog are other SEO strategies you can use to get search engines (and customers) to view your site as more trustworthy and authoritative. These can include link building, content marketing, social media, influencer marketing, guest posting, PR, and local SEO.
All this said, your blog posts should be written for people; not robots. Only use keywords when they make sense. Loosen up. Get rid of jargon. Add some contractions. Infuse your brand personality and voice! That’s how real people talk, and that’s what real people like to read. Lucky for you, Google’s smart enough to reward this kind of content as well. Win win!
4. Get someone who can handle the breadth of your blog content
If this sounds like a lot, that’s because it is; hang with me.
Managing a successful business blog that sees results is a worthwhile investment and may require some delegation. Sometimes the best thing you can do for your blog is hire someone to handle it for you–be it an employee, freelancer, or agency.
For the last 11 years, I’ve helped clients with every aspect of their blog strategy including research, editorial planning, content writing, editing, image sourcing, SEO optimization, reviewing, publishing, and marketing–all on a consistent, reliable, results-driven basis.
If you need help, don’t be afraid to ask. We’ll get through it together.
5. Include a CTA at the end of your blog posts
At the end of every blog post you want to reinforce your content with a clear, actionable step for the reader.
Calls To Action may include:
- Book a consultation or get in touch
- Download a white paper or other freebie
- Sign up for your newsletter
- Follow your company on Instagram, Facebook, or LinkedIn
Whatever your CTA, it should connect to the overall purpose of the blog post and enable the reader to take an action that further drives the goals established in step 1.
Pro-Tip: don’t choose more than one CTA for the end of your blog post. It actually requires more effort to make a decision when presented with multiple choices, and you might lose folks (known as the paradox of choice) if you give them several. Instead, be clear on the specific action you want them to take, and then invite them to do so.
Blogging is more than just writing words on a screen and hitting the publish button–it’s a strategic method to connect with your community, and then convert them.
Remember to be authentic, do your research, remain consistent, and always be willing to learn and grow with your target audience and business goals. But most importantly, don’t give up. Blogging for business is a long-game and the better you blog, the more benefits you’ll reap in terms of traffic and leads.
I hope these blogging tips help. Happy publishing!
Ready to get started?
You have a story to tell…
Hi, I’m Kristy–a Vancouver copywriter and content creator who is passionate about creatively connecting brands with the right consumers and communities. My mission is to help you share yours. Click the button below and I’ll be thrilled to discuss how I can help you empower connections and drive conversions.